Here's what we changed:
- painted walls & ceiling a light gray (over this)
- replaced cabinets above sink with open shelving
- added a small island with storage & seating
- installed new lighting (pendants for the island & dining, a globe for the sink)
- upgraded our short, deep fridge to a taller, counter-depth model that doesn't stick out as much (so worth it in a high-traffic area!)
I snapped these after cleaning post-new year's eve, so although it probably hasn't been as neat and tidy since, we're loving the changes (here's what it used to look like). The open shelving lets extra light in from the dining area, and we can't imagine not having that island now...for prepping food, eating breakfast, accumulating piles of mail, and just about everything else.